There are certain people who should limit the intake of some food due to different diseases. This is the case of people with celiac disease, who cannot eat foods containing gluten between its composition. In this sense, the fonio is a superfood indicated for people who live with this pathology.
Specifically, celiac disease is a condition of the immune system in which people cannot consume gluten in their diet, since this element can damage their small intestine. Generally, gluten is a protein found in foods like wheat, barley, and rye.
Therefore, all foods that are made from wheat, barley or rye are not allowed for people with celiac disease, due to the different health damages that may appear.
What is fonio and why is it a superfood for people with celiac disease?
Fonio is a special ancestral grain with a flavor similar to that of nuts and that also provides important benefits to the body.
A popular legend tells that the Egyptians in ancient times threw it to the dead people in the pyramids so that they would not lack food for the rest of eternity. A sample of the nutritional quality of this food.
One of the highlights of fonio is that it is gluten-free and has a protein concentration of 10%. For these reasons, it is considered in many areas as a superfood, which is also suitable for people with celiac disease.
Benefits of taking Fonio, a superfood
Like any ‘superfood’, its virtues lie in the important properties that it contains in its composition and that in a derivative way causes different health benefits. Some of the most prominent are the following:
- It is ideal for people with celiac disease: It is a food that can perfectly replace rice
- It is rich in amino acids: It contains cystine, phenylalanine and methionine.
- Source of vitamin B1 and B2: They contribute to a better state of the muscles.
- Facilitates digestion: It is rich in fiber and helps the intestines function better.
In addition, fonio is a superfood that helps fight the appearance of osteoporosis (bone disease) in women with menopause. And on the other hand, being a slow-absorbing food, it also helps stabilize blood glucose levels in the body.
Recipe with fonio
It is probably the first time you have heard of a superfood like fonio and you have doubts about how to make a dish with this kind of legume. Thus, we present a simple recipe that can serve as an example for other types of dishes:
- Select a small container and add a little lemon juice, pink Himalayan salt, a pinch of pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- In another container add two cups of perfectly washed fonio coffee type. In this same space, add mint leaves, small pieces of mango, chopped parsley, cherry tomatoes, cucumber wheels, onion and Krissia surimi bars (they do not contain gluten)
- Finally, pour the prepared vinaigrette in the first container over the fonio salad. If you prefer, you can also grate some cashew nuts on the salad. And ready to taste.