Time to talk about kale, a green leafy vegetable which can be considered a superfood for the body due to its properties and benefits for the Health. Its high content in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
It is a plant food used by many famous people in their diet. And it is that kale stands out for its high content of micronutrients of great importance for health, such as vitamin K, beta-carotene, folic acid or vitamin B6.
As for the minerals it contains in its composition, the presence of elements such as calcium or iron stands out. Some experts point out that kale may have more calcium than cow’s milk and even more calcium than beef.
For every 100 grams of food, kale contains a total of 150 mg of calcium and 1.5 mg of iron. That is, it is an important source of both micronutrients for the body.
In addition, this superfood also contains significant doses of potassium and magnesium. It is for this reason that it is an ideal food for the good maintenance of bone health.
Another benefit of kale consumption is that it reduces the risk of developing diseases such as diabetes or obesity. It also improves intestinal transit and is a superfood to incorporate into weight loss diets. Do not forget that kale contains great antioxidant properties.
Thus, one of the most striking aspects of this vegetable is its versatility in the way it is consumed. There are different ways to cook or consume kale, such as salads, smoothies, juices or even steamed.
Benefits of consuming kale
Once the properties of kale are known, we will now list the different benefits that the consumption of this green leafy superfood can generate in the body:
- Source of vitamin K: A total of 100 grams of this food provides seven times the recommended daily amount of this vitamin. It is a key micronutrient for bone health and cardiovascular wellness.
- Rich in vitamin C, iron and calcium.
- Helps lower cholesterol: Its consumption reduces LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and increases HDL (good) cholesterol.
- Prevents the development of different types of cancer: This is thanks to the presence of compounds such as indole-3-carbinol or sulforaphane, which act as a powerful antioxidant in the body.
- Source of minerals: Thanks to its rich composition in manganese, copper, potassium, calcium and magnesium, it helps prevent mineral deficiencies in the body. This is one of the healthy keys to this superfood.
- Helps to lose weight: It is an ideal food to maintain or lose weight.
As for its ability to help control body weight, it is due to its low fat and calorie content. In addition, it is a food that provides a minimum amount of partner and offers a feeling of satiety after consumption.
On the other hand, due to its high fiber content, it is one of those beneficial foods to combat constipation and help control blood glucose levels.