The heart It is the most important vital organ of the bodyalong with the brain. Therefore, each person has practically the obligation to carry out different habits to preserve the Health of the same. Thus, there are a number of food suitable for this purpose.
It should be noted that the heart is an organ made up of muscle tissue and its main mission is to pump blood so that it reaches all parts of the body. This process of blood transport takes place through the blood vessels (arteries and veins).
Thus, the heart is a complex structure made up of four chambers (two atria and two ventricles). Also, between the two atria and the two ventricles is a septum called the septum.
In this sense, the arteries and veins enter and leave the heart. This is because arteries carry blood out of the heart and veins carry blood in.
Foods to support heart health
Among the most influential factors in heart health, diet, physical exercise or avoiding harmful products such as alcohol or tobacco stand out.
And there are certain foods, which due to their properties, such as high amounts of cholesterol, glycemic load or fat, can be highly harmful to health.
On the contrary, from the Spanish Heart Foundation they expose a list with ten great foods suitable to benefit the health of this vital organ and that it is necessary to incorporate into our weekly diet:
- Walnuts: This dried fruit is considered a ‘superfood’ to prevent cardiovascular problems. A recent study has confirmed that the intake of this food can extend life. Highlights its high content of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Broccoli: This vegetable helps to incorporate into the body important doses of folic acid, iron, calcium, vitamin K or antioxidants. All of them are key elements to reduce the risk of cardiovascular accidents.
- Strawberries: They are a fruit rich in vitamin C, but also in flavonoids, a nutritious element that helps dilate the arteries and helps control blood pressure.
- Dark chocolate: Cocoa is one of the best foods to restore the flexibility of arteries. In addition, it prevents leukocytes from accumulating on the walls of blood vessels.
- Curry: It is a food that contains curcumin, a powerful antioxidant that reduces the chances of developing heart failure and hypertension.
Other great foods
In addition, the Spanish Heart Foundation also highlights the virtues of other foods such as green tea to improve heart health. One or two cups a day of this type of tea helps prevent cardiovascular disease.
Olive oil, considered ‘liquid gold’ by many gastronomy and nutrition experts, is also another ideal food for heart health; as long as it is consumed in moderation.
On the other hand, salmon, a fish rich in vitamin D and omega-3, is a food that helps reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels; in addition to increasing the fluidity of the blood.
According to the Heart Foundation, the ethanol and polyphenols contained in red wine are two elements that offer beneficial effects on the inflammatory molecules that cause atherosclerosis.
Finally, they point out that different studies endorse legume proteins as excellent nutritional elements to maintain healthy blood cholesterol levels.